Today, the buzz in the aesthetic world is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF). Both PRP and PRF are blood concentrate therapies. PRP and PRF harness the body’s regenerative processes promoting cell turnover, collagen production, elastin production, and overall skin regeneration. Both therapies use the blood’s platelets to release growth factors.
PRP, the original blood concentrate therapy, was first used 30 years ago in dental surgeries to improve soft tissue healing. Now, PRP and PRF therapies are commonplace, being successfully used for topical skin treatments, collagen induction, facial volume, and hair regrowth.
What is the difference between PRP and PRF?
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) are actually quite similar. Both are made from whole blood. (Whole blood contains 55% plasma, 5% platelets, white blood cells, mesenchymal stem cells, and 40% red blood cells.) Both are spun in a centrifuge to separate cellular layers.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is spun in a centrifuge at a high speed. With PRP, the tube collection system contains a coagulant which forms a gel separator. This gel separates the platelet-rich and platelet-poor plasma from the red blood cells. The densest layer of platelet-rich plasma lies directly above the gel separator and is collected for treatments. PRP remains in the liquid state longer than PRF.
- Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) is spun in the centrifuge at a low speed. With PRF, the collection tubes do not contain coagulants. So, a natural fibrin matrix forms above the red blood cell layer. This is collected for treatments. PRF is naturally thicker than PRP
and formsa gel when injected into the dermis.
With PRF, the growth factors are released slowly, over 10-15 days. PRF contains more white blood cells (which have anti-inflammatory properties) and a small number of mesenchymal stem cells.
The benefits of PRP, come from the condensed, concentration of platelet-rich plasma. PRP offers a quick, targeted release of growth factors, over 3-5 days.
What Are My Treatment Options?
- For smoother skin texture, a reduction in skin discolorations, skin tightening, and scar shrinking, we recommend PRF Microneedling Treatments. For best results, 3 treatments are recommended.
- For collagen production and volumizing effects, PRF + Dermal Fillers are recommended. Results will last around 12-20 months or longer.
- For an all-natural filler option, PRF “stand-alone” Injections are an option. However, volumizing results will only last about 1 month.
- For thinning hair, PRF Scalp Injections are recommended. This activates dormant hair follicles resulting in new hair growth and thicker-looking hair. Three treatments are recommended. After that, yearly re-treatments are needed for maintenance.